Sunday, July 19, 2015

VBS

I have to start out with an apology for the blurry pictures.  I think every picture I have this time is slightly blurry.  It is because my cell phone gets handled by too many little ones and the camera lens gets smudged and I forget to clean it before snapping the pictures...

We did VBS (Vacation Bible School) this week.  It was a first for all of us and after a little hesitation from the boys, they had a great time all week.  It helped that the theme was superheroes.  I volunteered in Josiah's class, so I got to go to all the events that the boys did.  The church that held the VBS does everything BIG, so they went to two shows each day - one that was similar to what they do on Sunday mornings and another "Big Show" (as it was dubbed) that had to do with the VBS theme and Jesus.  I would try to spot Henry in the big rooms when all the kids were together.  Whenever the kids would stand up to sing and do hand motions, (following the teenagers and adults on the stage), Henry would remain seated through it all.  Josiah would stand, but did not attempt any hand movements or even singing that I noticed (although he often mentioned that he couldn't see when they stood up because of his height).  So, it was to our shock when we went to the "Big Show" Thursday night as a family, to find out the conclusion of the story, that Henry and Josiah stood up at their seats and danced around to all the songs.  They yelled and cheered when appropriate and were very much into it.

The whole drive home from VBS that night, Josiah and Henry were telling each other jokes that they found hilarious.  For some reason they thought it was funny to guess what God eats and where He eats, etc.  Henry kept opening his jokes with, "I have a good one," which was the funniest part for Todd and I.  He definitely has a really good sense of humor.
Sir Chomps
"Digit"
We would also suggest that you don't challenge Henry to a staring contest any time soon.  He beat me almost every time this weekend.  We'd say, "1, 2, 3, go," look up and see Henry with this face.  Somehow by keeping his mouth wide open, it kept his eyelids from blinking.



Henry showed us just how mature he is getting at Cow Appreciation Day at Chick-fil-a.  If you dress like a cow from head to hoof, you get a free meal.  So, these were our kids.

Last year when we went, Henry was very scared of the big cow that walked around.  This year, he went right up to it, touched it, and posed for pictures.  I told him I was really proud of him for not being scared anymore.  He brushed it off and said it was because he's 4 now.  Caroline, on the other hand, took his spot in the "quite scared" section.

Todd took a 4-day weekend, so we were able to get the house a bit more put together.  We finally have all of our furniture in place, including a 250 lb dresser that Todd  and I got upstairs.  This piece has always been the worst piece in all our moves because of its size and weight.  Also, because I was convinced that the drawers did not come out.  But then Todd was talking to a coworker who mentioned the locks on the drawers.  So, Todd figured out how to take the drawers out for the very first time.  Then we got it up the stairs without too much trouble.  Now I can get all of Princess Caroline's many boxes of clothes put away.  I think she may have more clothes than anyone at this point.  (Although she does have many clothes still to grow into.)

We have another week of unpacking to do.  Josiah wants me to figure out how to join our neighborhood pool, so I may muster up the strength to figure that out as well.  It's too hot to do anything else outside.  We made it to a playground for about 20 minutes the other morning before heading in for the A/C.  I have no idea how people lived here before A/C was invented.





No comments:

Post a Comment