Sunday, September 27, 2015

Prayers and Spiky Hair

After Bible time each night, we have prayer time when we all take turns praying.  Josiah likes to prayer walk/dance/sing and we often have to interrupt him at some point to say, "Are you praying or are you playing?"  After not getting dessert Monday evening, Josiah started out his prayer that night with, "I love you God.  Even when I am mistreated.  Even when I don't get a cookie."

I think he felt the need to make up for his lack of desserts this week.  This morning at 6:30 a.m., Todd and I could hearing him making noise in the kitchen.  Neither one of us really wanted to get out of bed to see what was going on, but the continuous noise sort of forced it.  Well, forced Todd.  :)  Not too long after Todd had gone downstairs, he was back upstairs asking me to come eat the breakfast Josiah had made us.  He told me that I had better come down before it melted.  Josiah had made us each an ice cream sandwich for breakfast.  A piece of toast with a small dab of melted ice cream in the middle.  It wasn't until after I had finished mine, I noticed that Josiah had an empty bowl of ice cream beside his plate.  Little stinker.

The boys are excited for Todd's upcoming birthday and spent the better part of Friday afternoon decorating the house.  They had signs all over, with the most being on our shower door.  I do not understand the reasoning behind that one, but I guess they know he showers daily.  When Josiah asked how old he was turning so that he could write it on one of his signs, I gave his age.  Then he asked how old I was.  "Wow! You're really old.  You're going to die soon!"  I have always felt the guilt of not having a will or the proper documents stating in whose care we would leave the children.  Now he's got me thinking of dying.  Happy Birthday Todd!

Their decorating was abruptly halted when they discovered a package outside from Grandad & Nana.  They each got a lego kit and they put them together by themselves.  Henry puts his together at such a furious rate, it stresses me out.  I like to look at each page of the instructions and compare it to what I have to make sure, double check, that I am doing it correctly.  He is a speed demon, and yet has amazing accuracy with it.
Crazy hair and completed lego kits.  Henry thinks his face is hilarious in this picture.
 At least Caroline asked for my assistance.  She didn't even have any instructions, we just went by what was on the box, but she kept asking with each piece, "This right?"

Friday ended with crazy hair night at Awana.  I own no hair products save shampoo and conditioner.  I had thought about using olive oil to slick up the boys hair, but thought it might be too greasy.  So, we used conditioner and spiked it up as high as we could.  Henry desperately needed a haircut at this point, so we got some good height on his.  He wasn't a huge fan of it, but went along with it once he heard he earned points for it which could be used at the Awana store later.


We spent Saturday participating in an Out of Darkness walk for suicide prevention.  It was very hot and I did not realize they would have as many speakers as they did before the actual walk.  So, we sort of started walking before anyone else (although we met some fellow walkers on the trail) and took a detour at the playground.  We did notice a few other parents and kids break rank to head to the (shaded) playground.  Most of the teams there were wearing shirts to remember the person for whom they were walking.  It was sad to see a few.  One had a picture of a 15-year old boy.  I saw another group, "Damon's Team," and on the backs of three kids were written, "Son. Son. Daughter."

Todd and I have been talking for years now on what to do with the kids regarding money.  We don't really disagree, but we don't really agree, so we haven't done anything about it.  Do we pay them for chores? Do we give them an allowance?  How can they earn money so they learn how to manage it well?  So, finally, this evening we introduced a Daily Schedule of things we all are expected to do because we are members of the family.  We also have a chore chart for which they get paid weekly if they do the job well (there will be inspections), on the day it is assigned, and with a good attitude.  They also have a list of extra chores they may do to earn money.  Well, since it was the first day, of course they wanted to earn money right away.  Josiah decided to sweep our patio out back.  I taught him the correct way to sweep and then supervised.  He had to do it well.  Halfway through, he said it was hard and that Henry could do it next time.  Henry cleaned some windows inside.  Then Henry went outside to hang out with Josiah who was still sweeping.  I popped my head out to see how they were doing and Henry chimed in, while relaxing in a chair, "I'm resting, because on the seventh day, God rested."  He conveniently learned that lesson at church this morning.

The boys decided to camp out under Josiah's bed tonight.  We were all for it since it meant we were let go of our usual snuggling duties with Henry.  I went to take a picture of the sleeping beauties and I guess the floor wasn't exactly the comfortable camping environment they thought it would be.  They sought shelter on the roof.


A highly recommended book that we read this week.  I saw the title and knew we had to get it and read it often.

No comments:

Post a Comment