Sunday, July 25, 2021

Mom School

Benson started the week with a good bit of coughing each day.  We were expecting his medicine to kick in a little quicker than it did, however he did have both kennel cough and a respiratory infection, so he had a lot going on.  For about five days I was so impressed with the ease at giving him his medicine.  He was a model medicine taker.  I would wrap his pill up in a slice of deli turkey.  I'd let him get a good sniff and then he'd gobble it up, usually without any chewing.  Ideal.  But then the fateful day happened - he crunched into the turkey and hit the pill.  He spit that meat out so fast.  I got a new piece of turkey.  Tried giving it to him again.  Again he spit the turkey on the floor.  That was not good.  I improvised and through a little trial and error discovered if I used half a slice of bread, no crust, hid the pill in the  peanut butter, he would gobble it up without chewing.  He's finished all his meds now and for the most part his cough seems to be gone.  But as the week progressed, the cough was no longer our greatest concern.  Because one day our house started to smell.  Really bad.  I could not identify the smell, but it seemed to be everywhere.  We checked for dead rodents.  We checked the gas stove.  We looked for any 'accidents' Benson may have left.  We checked the attic, the vents.  Nothing.  One night I prayed for clarity as to where the smell was coming from so we could take care of it.  The following day it really seemed like it was coming from Benson.  He definitely stunk.  So this weekend we gave him a very thorough bath.  We washed all his bedding in hot water.   Todd changed the air filter in our attic.  We've sprayed Lysol.  There is still an odor, but it does not seem as strong.  I feel like an animal (not a skunk) sprayed him or he got a stink bug or something.  He does go after frogs in the backyard a lot.  I don't know if he got the wrong type that sprayed him with something.  Whatever it was, it has been a retched smell.  

The kids decided to have school for me mid-week.  (See...they miss school.)  They spent a lot of time planning their subjects before coming out and sending me to art class.  Josiah had me follow him in drawing Marvin the Martian.  



Next I went onto math class with Prof. Henry.  He had raided Josiah's suits to dress the part.  I purposefully missed three problems to see if he'd check the work.  As soon as he got to the first missed problem, he looked at me, dropped his head to the side, "Did you miss that on purpose?"  


After math I went to PE.  Caroline had me doing jumping jacks.  Then she wanted me to run around the couch, but I told her it'd be better to walk since Benson would get riled up if we ran.  (That's the excuse I told her.)  


After PE I went back to art where Josiah and I painted abstract art using watercolors.  Then it was back to Professor Henry.  He started with geography by spinning our globe, abruptly stopping it on a random country, covering the name and asking me what country it was.  Fortunately, the only one I didn't know was Angola, but I got a peek of the name before his finger got it covered.  Ace!  Then he gave me a history quiz about Abraham Lincoln.  He asked his parents names, wife's name, kids' names, and lots of dates.  I missed five of those.  I was a little disappointed about that because I just finished reading Killing Lincoln a few weeks ago.  

After school we headed to the library.  While there, Josiah and Caroline picked up their summer reading trophies.  Caroline had to read 20 books to earn it.  That proved easy when she got into the Cam Jansen books.  Josiah was in the middle school program and he had to read 2000 minutes.  He reads at least an hour every night so that didn't take too long for him to accomplish.  Henry's still working on his 20 books.  He's been reading very long books so it's taken him a little longer.  He likes to remind us that he has read at least 2000 minutes.


Henry did earn a new stripe on his jiu-jitsu belt.  This time it was a red stripe, so this was a big deal.  The next step is a new belt.  He is really excited to earn that.  He has a competition going with another kid at jiu-jitsu, although he has not told the other kid about it.  While we were on vacation, this other child caught up with Henry so they earned their red stripes on the same day.  Henry is not too happy about that because the other kid is only 7 years old.  So, Henry has been trying to go to as many classes as possible to get ahead of him in their belt rank order. 

The next jiu-jitsu class was Caroline's 12th class, which also meant a new stripe.  However, it happened again that the man at the desk wasn't there, nor the main instructor.  She was not a happy camper to have to wait until this week to get her stripe.  I think she takes it as a personal offense.  Upon entering the dojo, she noted the man at the desk was not there, and in protest, she did not exactly put forth her best effort in class.  We talked about that later.  Always do your best!

We made it to our pool this week.  The temperatures here are really hot, so it was quite refreshing to get in the water.  Caroline started her swim lessons this week, so she practiced her skills a lot.  It was good to hear her talk about what they do in swim because I can only watch from behind a fence.  I cannot hear any of the instruction.  She has been working on freestyle, backstroke, and breaststroke kick.  This weekend we were watching the Olympics.  Swimming was on and they were doing the 100M freestyle.  Caroline watched and exclaimed, "Hey!  That's what I do."  Yep.  Just at a slightly different pace.  She was amazed at how long they could go between breaths.  


We have lived somewhat close to The Grove Donutz for about six years now.  They have been featured on television shows for their crazy donuts.  Todd decided we were going to try them this weekend.  What we didn't know was that the donuts were made to order.  They all start with the basic glazed style donut (Krispy Kreme style donut).  Then they add to them.  From top left, Caroline ordered a Reese's Pieces donut.  Top right is Josiah's Red Velvet.  Below that is Henry's Death by Chocolate.  Finally I ordered the Chocoberry - it had creme and strawberries inside it.  They were giant sugar bombs, but very, very tasty.  Todd showed self-control and didn't order one for himself.  We don't know why.  


They had a lot of funny signs in the shop, but Caroline told Todd this was her favorite.  


We have a crazy busy week coming up with swim and jiu-jitsu, VBS and school orientations.  And I have a major task ahead of me to get the school room back in working order by the end of the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment